So you’ve decided to meet with a potential doula. Congratulations! When meeting someone for the first time you may be concerned about where to start. Some typical questions you may want to ask your potential Doulas are:
- What training have you completed?
- Tell us about your experience as a Doula
- What role will you play while supporting us?
- When does your support begin after birth?
- What happens when you are sick?
While these questions are great and help you to have an idea about your Doula, we want to help you think “outside the box” and get to know the person behind the Doula.
1. WHY are they doula’s? When it comes to doulas their training and background will almost always be similar. What sets them apart is WHO they are as people and WHY they do what they do.
2. How do they support you before, during and after the birth of your baby that other doulas don’t? What sets them apart from others?
3. If you have a partner, how will they support them?
4. What are their hobbies outside of birthing? Do you have anything in common with them?
5. How do they support you if you have an epidural or c-section? It is important to know what your doula will be doing to support you and your partner in all different birth experiences.
6. When do they come to see you in birth? Are there any limitations of when they will support you?
7. What happens if they are sick or their is a tragedy in their life? Who will support you in these cases?
8. What do they do to stay current in the birth and parenting community?
Also to keep in mind…
9. Do you like the person you will be sharing this experience with? Does their personality fit with your family’s dynamic?
10. Do you feel comfortable with them? Have they made you feel confident moving forward?
At these free virtual workshops you will get the opportunity to learn and meet out our team as well as guest experts from around the community. See you then!