Regardless of the option you choose, you want to do your homework. Whether you are going with a nanny, home daycare, or daycare center you want to choose a good one. Here are some tips on where to start:
- Ask friends and family if they have anyone they would suggest. Posting on Facebook is a great way to reach out to people and get a few names to start with.
- Search for places near by and set up interviews. This is a great way to compare different places.
- Call references. Always a good idea to check up on who you are considering. A quick call to references will give you a better sense of who they are. Ask open ended questions and ask how they dealt with certain circumstances. For example, you could ask if they’re child ever got hurt in their care and what was the caregivers reaction. Children are bound to hurt themselves but how it is responded to is really important. Another thing to ask about is how their child was disciplined. It is important that you find caregivers that share the same discipline strategies as you so your child has consistency.
- Observe the caregiver in action. If you are interviewing a nanny, have them have a bit of time when they are watching the child while you are at home. Then you could try some short errands out. See how your child responds. If you are considering a centre, go there with your child and watch how they interact with the teachers and other children.
- And finally…don’t be afraid to change caregivers if it tuns out it is not a good fit. It is important for both you and your child to feel comfortable with who is taking care of them
Good luck in your journey and feel free to post your references on our Facebook page www.facebook/HelpingHandsDoulaRMT