“It’s the most wonderful time of the year…” unless you have to go to the mall and you happen to be pregnant. Shopping for the holidays is exhausting for all of us and then add the fact that you are growing a human inside of you and it is even more of a challenge.
Here are some tips to survive the mall when you are pregnant:
- Be strategic in your timing. Standing or being on your feet for long periods can cause all sorts of discomfort on your body. Try to limit your time to 2 hour increments with time to rest. Most malls and stores are open earlier and later than normal and not everyone is aware of that. Try getting to the mall as soon as it opens or going for the last couple of hours at the end of the day. Hopefully you will get lucky and beat the crowds.
- Don’t overheat. This means your temperature not your temper, although that is important too. Most expectant moms find that they are way warmer than normal with the hormones running through their bodies. We bundle up for the cold weather outside and forget that you are indoors when you are shopping. Be sure to take off your coat and wear light clothing if you are headed to the mall. The added bonus to not wearing a coat in the mall is that people will be able to see your baby bump a lot easier. If they see you are pregnant and are a decent human being, they may let you cut in front of them in line. Fingers crossed.
- Drink lots of fluids. Bring a water bottle with you and make sure you are drinking from it regularly while you are shopping. Dehydration can cause the uterine muscles to tighten which can cause some cramping. This cramping may make you think you are going into labour when it is your uterus telling you that it needs fluids. Lesson here is to drink, drink, drink.
- Plan your bathroom breaks. You are listening to the suggestion above and drinking regularly while out which will also mean more trips to the washroom. Plan ahead and find out where the bathrooms are so you can plan your shopping accordingly. Last thing you want is to have to pee so bad that you wish you were wearing a diaper and then find out the bathroom is on the other side of the mall. Also might be a good idea to pee before you get in the car to drive home. Makes the car ride a lot more comfortable.
- Bring snacks and eat regularly. It is easy to get distracted when you are shopping and forget to eat. Not eating for long periods of time can cause your blood sugar to drop and make you feel dizzy. The last thing you want to do, unless you like lots of attention, is to faint in the middle of a busy mall. Granola bars and other small snacks that it into your purse are great to have on had. One of our favourites are Made Good and
- Have a nice warm bath and rest when you get home. If you had to spend any amount of time in a mall at this time of year and you haven’t ran anyone over in the parking lot, you deserve a big treat when you get home. Run a bath, or better yet, have someone else run you a bath, and enjoy some time to relax. This will allow all the muscles of the body to relax and if you happen to be feeling any cramping, it should help those subside too.
And our biggest suggestion of all…
- SHOP ONLINE! If you can avoid the malls altogether then you don’t have to worry about keeping any of the above suggestions in mind. We suggest you order everything you need for the holidays, with a little something for yourself and still have that relaxing bath. You have the most important gift growing inside of you so you deserve to treat yourself well.
Give a Reply